Monday, September 19, 2011

Parsnip-Apple Soup with "Bacon Candy"

Warning, the original recipe below makes a lot of soup. I scaled this in half and had plenty of leftovers after the two of us finished eating. If you are using the full version, you might want to use a large pot as my medium pot seemed quite full after I cut this in half.

I won't say this was the most amazing soup I ever had, but it has a nice parsnip flavour cut by a bit of sweetness. I skipped on the candied bacon, but think it would add something very nice, so I'm keeping it in here. I also substituted McIntosh apples for Fuji because that's what I have an overabundance of.

One year ago: Cheesecake Marbled Brownies

Parsnip-Apple Soup with "Bacon Candy" (from Radically Simple)

Ingredients
4 packed cups chopped leeks, white and light green parts
2 pounds parsnips, peeled
3 large Fuji apples, 1 1/4 pounds, peeled
4 tbsp unsalted butter, divided
6 1/2 cups water
1 tsp salt
8 strips thick-sliced bacon, divided
1/4 cup turbinado sugar

1. Preheat oven to 375F.
2. Wash leeks and dry. Cut parsnips and apples into 1" pieces.
3. Melt 3 tbsp butter in a medium pot.
4. Add leeks; cook 5 minutes over medium heat.
5. Add parsnips and apples; cook 5 minutes.
6. Dice 2 bacon strips and add to pot with water and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cook until vegetables are very soft, 25 minutes.
7. Meanwhile, place 6 slices of bacon on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Rub sugar evenly over the top of each slice.
8. Bake 10 minutes; drain the fat. Bake 10 minutes longer until crisp. Cut into 1/4" pieces.
9. Puree soup using immersion blender. Melt in remaining 1 tbsp butter. Garnish with bacon candy.

No comments:

Post a Comment