Sunday, September 25, 2011

Pork Chops and Apples, Madeira-Bay Butter Sauce

A surplus of recipes right now is making me a bit pickier about posting recipes. I've never been a bit pork chop fan, but this recipe was quite satisfying and had the bonus property of using up extra apples (well one extra apple)! I did find that I needed longer than specified to cook the chops and I wish I had waited to put the apples on as they were a little more blackened that I would've liked, but this recipe is quick and easy yet filling. I highly recommend the cookbook that this comes from as everything I've had from it has been at least decent and most dishes have been outstanding. They're also generally quick and easy (even if the ingredients sometimes get a bit fancy).

Pork Chops and Apples, Madeira-Bay Butter Sauce (from Radically Simple)

Ingredients
2 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup Madeira
1 large garlic clove, finely minced
2 bay leaves
2 tbsp unsalted butter
2 large thick rib pork chops (I had bone on chops and they seemed to be forgiving to overcooking)
1 large apple
1 tbsp olive oil
2 tsp finely minced fresh tarragon

1. Combine broth, Madeira, garlic, and bay leaves in a skillet (NOT a pot, you want a thin layer so it boils off quickly). Bring to a boil over high heat and continue to boil until reduced to 3 tbsp, ~15 minutes. Remove bay leaves and stir in butter. Season with salt and pepper to taste and keep warm.
2. Meanwhile, preheat the broiler. Season pork with salt and pepper and place on a rimmed baking sheet.
3. Slice through apple to make 6 1/4" slices. Remove core and seeds and arrange around chops. Drizzle with oil.
4. Broil chops as close to heat as possible for 5 minutes, until soft and golden (mine took longer and needed to be flipped).
5. Stack apples on chops, drizzle with sauce, and season with tarragon.

No comments:

Post a Comment