Monday, February 13, 2012

Pea Shoot and Cabbage Stir-Fry

This dish was a happy accident. While looking up the planned salad for the night in a book's index, I noticed this one instead. It had Chinese in the original title. I was making Chinese! As I investigated, I noticed that it also used cabbage. Have I mentioned my on-going battle to reduce that amount of cabbage I have? I heavily edited this recipe, removing the mushrooms to greatly reduce the cook time (and because I was serving it as a side instead of a main dish) and omitting the long beans and water chestnuts because I didn't have any on hand. I only needed the dish to be passable, but it was actually good! Success! Pea shoots gone and half a cabbage gone as well! I scaled the recipe down, keeping the proportions the same after the many edits, but the original in terms of amount is included below.

Pea Shoot and Cabbage Stir-Fry (heavily edited, originally Chinese Vegetable Stir-Fry from Gourmet Today)

Ingredients
2 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp Chinese rice wine
2 tsp sugar
2 tbsp peanut oil
1 tbsp finely chopped fresh ginger
1 tbsp finely chopped garlic
1 bunch scallions, halved lengthwise and cut into 2" pieces
1 (900g) Napa cabbage, halved lengthwise, cored, and cut crosswise into 2" wide pieces
450g pea shoots, coarsely chopped (or watercress)
2 tsp sesame oil
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper

1. In a small bowl, stir together 2 tbsp soy sauce, 2 tbsp rice wine, and 2 tsp sugar.
2. Heat wok over high heat. Pour on oil. Stir in ginger, garlic, and scallions and stir-fry for 2 minutes.
3. Add cabbage and toss until wilted, 4 - 6 minutes.
4. Add pea shoots and stir-fry until wilted, 2 - 4 minutes.
5. Stir in sauce mixture.
6. Remove from heat and stir in sesame oil, salt, and pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment