Saturday, November 28, 2009

Pecan Pie

I've always been more of a cake, cupcake, and brownie kind of girl, so the idea of making pies for Thanksgiving was a bit daunting, but since Thanksgiving is a traditionally pie holiday, I decided to give it a shot.  I cheated and used pre-made pie shells ... maybe next year I'll be braver with that! 

Initially I was going to use a pecan pie recipe from Homesick Texan, but then I decided to compare the recipe to others out there.  In the process, I discovered this recipe that didn't use Karo syrup.  Not wanting to have to buy Karo syrup for one recipe and then have it go to waste in my cabinet, I decided to give it a try ... and we have a winner!  Best served warm with vanilla ice cream.  The only change to this recipe that I made was to reduce the cooking temperature and extend the cooking time.

Pecan Pie (from allrecipes)

Ingredients

1 cup light brown sugar
1/4 cup white sugar
1/2 cup butter
2 eggs
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup chopped pecans

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. In a large bowl, beat eggs until foamy, and stir in melted butter. Stir in the brown sugar, white sugar and the flour; mix well. Last add the milk, vanilla and nuts.
3. Pour into an unbaked 9-in pie shell. Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes at 350 degrees, then reduce temperature to 300 degrees and bake for 50 minutes, or until done.

No comments:

Post a Comment