Thursday, November 19, 2009

Tortellini with Walnut & Mascarpone Sauce

I don't think trying new recipes while you have the flu is generally recommended, but I couldn't resist.  I had gone through all the trouble to find the amazing store known as Milano to buy mascarpone (and fresh pasta, ricotta salata, and all sorts of yummy delicious things that snuck into my bag).  I couldn't bear the idea of letting the pasta go to waste or the spinach that I'd been saving for a pasta dish.  So, on the second day of flu misery, I cooked!  It probably would've helped if I'd had an appetite.  My changes to this recipe were to add fresh spinach to add some colour and healthiness to the dish and to add some lemon zest as suggested.  I didn't have fresh parsley and I couldn't exactly run out to get some so I passed on that.

Tortellini with Walnut & Mascarpone Sauce (from Kayotic Kitchen)

Ingredients

1/2 a small onion, finely minced
1 garlic clove, minced
85g walnuts (her directions say 7 oz walnuts, but the ingredient list says 3 oz, I think the 3 is closer to the mark)
200g tortellini (cheese or spinach)
5 tbsp mascarpone
30g parmesan
spinach
zest of 1 lemon
1 tbsp oil
pepper
salt 

1. Toast walnuts in a hot, dry skillet.  Chop in a food processor.
2. Mix together mascarpone and parmesan in a small bowl.
3. Cook tortellini according to package.
4. While the pasta is cooking, heat oil in a pan.  Saute onion until soft.  Add in garlic.
5. Add the cheese mixture, stirring until the cheese melts. 
6. Add walnuts, lemon zest, and season with salt and pepper. 
7. Transfer the cooked pasta to the sauce pan.  Add in fresh spinach to taste.  Stir until well-mixed.

No comments:

Post a Comment